Open access publications
- Matjaž Glavan, Špela Železnikar, Gerard Velthof, Sandra Boekhold, Sindre Langaas and Marina Pintar. 2019. How to Enhance the Role of Science in European Union Policy Making and Implementation: The Case of Agricultural Impacts on Drinking Water Quality. Water 2019, 11(3), 492; https://doi.org/10.3390/w11030492
- Kim, H.; Surdyk, N.; Moller, I. ; Graversgaard, M., Blicher-Mathiesen, G. ; Henriot, A. ; Dalgaard, T. ; Hansen B. Lag time as an Indicator of the link between Agricultural Pressure and Drinking Water Quality State. Water 2020, 12, 2385 https://doi.org/10.3390/w12092385
- Klages, S.; Heidecke, C.; Osterburg, B. The Impact of Agricultural Production and Policy on Water Quality during the Dry Year 2018, a Case Study from Germany. Water 2020, 12, 1519. https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4441/12/6/1519
- Klages, S.; Heidecke, C.; Osterburg, B.; Bailey, J.; Calciu, I.; Casey, C.; Dalgaard, T.; Frick, H.; Glavan, M.; D’Haene, K.; Hofman, G.; Leitão, I.A.; Surdyk, N.; Verloop, K.; Velthof, G. Nitrogen Surplus—A Unified Indicator for Water Pollution in Europe? Water 2020, 12, 1197. https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4441/12/4/1197
- Nesheim I, Sundnes F, Enge C, Graversgaard M, van den Brink C, Farrow L, Glavan M, Hansen B, Leitão IA, Rowbottom J, Tendler L. Multi-Actor Platforms in the Water–Agriculture Nexus: Synergies and Long-Term Meaningful Engagement. Water. 2021; 13(22):3204 https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4441/13/22/3204
- Nicholson, F.; Krogshave Laursen, R.; Cassidy, R.; Farrow, L.; Tendler, L.; Williams, J.; Surdyk, N.; Velthof, G. How Can Decision Support Tools Help Reduce Nitrate and Pesticide Pollution from Agriculture? A Literature Review and Practical Insights from the EU FAIRWAY Project. Water 2020, 12, 768. https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4441/12/3/768/htm
- Surdyk N, Baran N. 2021 Moins de nitrates dans l’eau, une vraie course de fond. The Conversation. 21 October 2021 https://theconversation.com/moins-de-nitrates-dans-leau-une-vraie-course-de-fond-165474
- van den Brink, C.; Hoogendoorn, M.; Verloop, K.; de Vries, A.; Leendertse, P. Effectiveness of Voluntary Measures to Reduce Agricultural Impact on Groundwater as a Source for Drinking Water: Lessons Learned from Cases in the Dutch Provinces Overijssel and Noord-Brabant. Water 2021, 13, 3278. https://doi.org/10.3390/w13223278
- Wuijts S, Claessens J, Farrow L, Doody DG, Klages S, Christophoridis C, Cvejić R, Glavan M, Nesheim I, Platjouw F, Wright I, Rowbottom J, Graversgaard M, van den Brink C, Leitão I, Ferreira A, Boekhold S. 2021. Protection of drinking water resources from agricultural pressures: Effectiveness of EU regulations in the context of local realities, Journal of Environmental Management, 287:112270 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301479721003327
Other publications in which FAIRWAY is acknowledged
- Carvalho L., Mackay E.B., Cardoso A. C., Baattrup-Pedersend A., Birke S., Blackstock K. L., Borics G., Borjah A., Felde C. K., Ferreira M. T., Globevnik L., Grizzetti B., Hendry S., Hering D., Kelly M., Langaas S., Meissner K., Panagopoulos Y., Solheimm A. L. 2019. Protecting and restoring Europe's waters: An analysis of the future development needs of the Water Framework Directive. Science of The Total Environment, 658, pp 1228-1238. Open Access https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S004896971835126X
- Graversgaard, M., Hedelin, B., Smith, L., Gertz, F., Højberg, A.L., Langford, J., Martinez, G., Mostert, E., Ptak, E., Peterson, H., Stelljes, N., van den Brink, C., Refsgaard, J.C. 2018. Opportunities and Barriers for Water Co-Governance—A Critical Analysis of Seven Cases of Diffuse Water Pollution from Agriculture in Europe, Australia and North America Sustainability. 10(5), 1634; Open Access https://doi.org/10.3390/su10051634
Publications submitted or in preparation
- Graversgaard, M., Nesheim, I et al. Catching the nutrient problem or developing new governance problems – A comparison of the implementation of catch crops as policy instrument for water quality protection in 6 European countries. Manuscript submitted to the journal, Water (as part of the special issue)
- Hasler at al., Identification of cost-effective and coherent management models for drinking water protection in agriculture.
- Nesheim, I., Sundnes, F., and Platjouw, F. M. Governance arrangements over time and multi-actor engagment in the Morsa catchment. Manuscript submitted to the Journal: Vann (Norwegian journal)
- Platjouw, F. M. and Nesheim, I. Policy coherence for the protection of drinking water resources against agricultural pollution in the EU and Norway. Submited to Ambio
- Rowbottom et al., Water governance diversity across Europe: Do we have sticking points in implementing multi-level governance? (submitted to JEMA and accepted with major revisions)
- Surdyk, N. et al. (2022) The necessities, opportunities and challenges for a database on Pressure and State indicators for water policy making. Manuscript to be submitted
- WP4 Measures to reduce diffuse pesticide pollution from agricultural land: comparing literature with experiences in eight case studies across Europe (submitted)
- WP4 Exploring the potential of cover crops and balanced fertilisation to reduce nitrate leaching in Europe (submitted)
- Boekhold, S. 2018. Balancing economy and sustainability: defragmentation of European policies to enhance the effectiveness of local scale water governance. International Conference Water Science for Impact 16 October 2018, Wageningen, NL
- A.E. Boekhold, B.I. Wright, J. Rowbottom, K. Dudman, F.M. Platjouw, S.Wuijts. 2019. Innovative governance approaches to protect drinking water resources against nitrate and pesticide pollution from agriculture. Land Use and Water Quality Conference 3-6 June 2019, Aarhus, Denmark
- Sandra Boekhold, Froukje Platjouw, Isobel Wright and Jenny Rowbottom ‘FAIRWAY WP6 Legal policy and governance’ Oral presentation at the Land Use and Water Quality Conference, 4 June 2019, Aarhus,Denmark.
- Sandra Boekhold. 2019. Policy and governance for a more effective drinking water protection, elements from the H2020 project FAIRWAY. Workshop 'Better integration of drinking water considerations into river basin management planning, links between drinking water, water frame work and groundwater directives’ on 16 October 2019 under the Finland's presidency of the council of the European Union, jointly organised by the EU Common Implementation Strategy (CIS) working group on groundwater and drinking water experts.
- Sandra Boehold. Interactive session in the Netherlands with experts and stakeholders on effective strategies on nitrate and pesticides, experiences from the FAIRWAY project. Bodembreed conference, June 2021
- C. Christophoridis, E. Mitsika, E. Evgenakis, A. Chatzimpaloglou, K. Fytianos. “The presence of multi-class pesticides in water originating from Axios River Basin – A water quality tool for the first multi-actor platform”. 19-22/6/2018, 40th International Conference on Environmental & Food Monitoring, Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
- M.C. Commelin, P.Groenendijk, J. Baartman, S. Klages, I. Calciu, A. Ferreira. M. Graversgaard, I Wright, V. Geissen, O. Oenema. 2019. Effectiveness of agricultural management practices to reduce pesticide pollution to ground and surface waters –a meta-analysis. Land Use and Water Quality Conference 3-6 June 2019, Aarhus, Denmark
- M. Commelin, S. Klages, I.Calciu, A. Ferreira. M. Graversgaard, I Wright, O. Oenema. 2019. Review of measures to decrease nitrate pollution of drinking water. Land Use and Water Quality Conference 3-6 June 2019, Aarhus, Denmark
- M. Glavan, M. Pintar, G. Velthof, P. Schipper. 2019. Evaluation of barriers and issues in providing integrated scientific support for EU policy. Land Use and Water Quality Conference 3-6 June 2019, Aarhus, Denmark
- Hasler, B. 2018. Plans and results of the H2020 projects WATERPROTECT and FAIRWAY related to Water, Agriculture and CAP. Water and Agriculture – Addressing Diffuse Water Pollution through the post-2020 CAP. European Commission, Task Force on Water and Agriculture. 27 November 2018, Sorø, Denmark
- Heidecke C. Klages S., Heidecke C., Osterburg B. 2020. The Impact of Agricultural Production and Policy on Water Quality during the Dry Year 2018, a Case Study from Germany Land Use and Water Quality Conference 3-6 June 2019, Aarhus, Denmark
- R. K. Laursen, F. Bondgaard, P. Schipper, K. Verloop, L. Tendler, R. Cassidy, L. Farrow, D. Doody, F. A. Nicholson, J.R. Williams, I. Wright, J. Rowbottom, I. A. Leitão, A. Ferreira, B. Hasler, M. Glavan, A. Jamsek, N. Surdyk, J. Van Vliet, P. Leendertse, M. Hoogendoorn, L. Jackson-Blake. 2019. Decision support tools for reduction of nitrate and pesticide pollution from agriculture. Land Use and Water Quality Conference 3-6 June 2019, Aarhus, Denmark
- F. Sudnes, C.vanden Brink, A. de Vries 2019. The role of Multi-Actor Platforms in addressing challenges to protect drinking water supplies Land Use and Water Quality Conference 3-6 June 2019, Aarhus, Denmark
- Surdyk, N. 2020. FAIRWAY Project Case Study. Office Français de la Biodiversité, Resear International des Organismes de Bassin, Office International de l'Eau, New common agricultural policy (CAP): An opportunity for water policies? 9 November 2020, online https://remoc.org/events/20201108-euro-inbo-conference-18/CAP_AGENDA.pdf
- Nicolas Surdyk, Susanne Klages, Christophoros Christophoridis, Donnacha Doody, Birgitte Hansen, Claudia Heidecke, Abel Henriot, Hyojin Kim, Sonja Schimmelpfennig. 2019. Agri-drinking water indicators (ADWIs): Linkage between agricultural practice and good drinking water quality. Land Use and Water Quality Conference 3-6 June 2019, Aarhus, Denmark
- ”Mobile Phone Apps to Manage Pesticides at Field Scale: The Perspective of Northern Ireland Farmers”. Catchment Science 2019 Conference, 5th - 7th November 2019, Wexford, IE.
- ”Pesticide Source Risk Identification – An Evaluation of Decision Support Tools in the Derg Drinking Water Catchment”. Catchment Science 2019 Conference, 5th – 7th November 2019, Wexford, IE.
Last updated: 8 December 2021